grand damper felt removal

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:55:21 EDT

 Richard asks:
<< > If someone can come up with something less traumatic, I definately would
> like to know what it is! >>

     Ah, the joy of hide glue!  When I redamper, I always use it and now am
seeing repeat jobs on pianos I did years ago.
     When I have to remove the "other" glues,  I have found that heat is
usually the easiest way.  I remove most of the felt, slightly dampen the remaining
remnant, and then touch it to a hot iron.  Usually about four seconds or so
is enough to soften the glue and it peels off.  A light touch of the (the
bastard's ) file leaves me a smooth, flat surface to spread the hide glue on.
    Grinding is not only a lot of work, but it is difficult to keep the
surfaces square.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT