Steinway factory whippens

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 12:20:38 -0700

Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 11:47 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Steinway factory whippens

>Oh, crud.  Monday when I ordered parts, Shannon said it would be a week,
>maybe two, because there were no whippens on the shelf and they were
>awaiting a new shipment.  So, I was really surprised when the UPS truck
>pulled up on Friday with a package from S&S.  I'm not quite done with key
>bushings--I would've been done if I had known the parts were going to be
>here so soon.  :-)  Dang, did I get some of your rejects, Dale?   I guess
>I'll find out this week.......
>
>Barbara Richmond

Awaiting a new shipment??? Shipment from where? Didn't they spend a
gazillion bucks a few years back to upgrade (or replace) their old in-house
action parts fabrication equipment to eliminate just these kinds of
problems? Have they now decided they can't make their own parts after all
and are having someone else not make them instead? I'm apparently out of
touch. What's the story here?

Ron N