colorof felt and stringing cloth

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 17:45:32 -0600

Recently someone asked whether mattered what color  stringing cloth is used
when restringing a Kawai grand.  My answer would be: Yes, for me, it does
matter.

For many piano manufacturers, the stringing color is connected to the
company's identity.  Can you imagine a Steinway with yellow or green felts
on the plate?   Call me a stickler, but I am a bit saddened when I see a
fine old Bechstein or Bluthner, rebuilt with red stringing cloth and red
backed damper felts.  And when the stringing cloth is that pinky red cloth
which has made the rounds, my stomach turns.  Although the felt color is
strictly visual and not functional, I can't help but wonder what other
attention to detail has been skipped in the rebuilding process.  Why would
anyone skimp on five dollars on a job worth thousands?

Gone are the days when you could have stringing cloth in the color of your
choice as long as it was red.  Quality felts and cloths are available in red
but also in green for rebuilding Bechsteins and blue for Kawai, Bluthner and
Ronisch  instruments.  Just in from Europe, burgundy is also available for
Bosendorfer and others.  Check out my web site or contact me for samples.

Of course, the color anyone uses is a matter of personal preference.  Go
ahead and use any color you desire (as long as Joe Garret approves <G>).
Just do me a favour and stay away from the pink stuff.

Jurgen Goering
www.pianofortesupply.com