Fair fees - Was: Re: ethics question

Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:25:26 -0500

At 08:24 10/5/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>But the piano will get tuned eventually.   Let's not keep our fees low to
>counter-act the discretionary spending aspect of tuning the piano.   When
>they do have us tune it needs to be a reasonable fee.
>
>David I.

Exactly, but we must realise that there is a bit of difference between what
we KNOW we are worth and what they are willing to pay.

Supply and demand.

We each can only supply so many hours.  As we equip ourselves with more
knowledge, experience and reputation, we should be creating more demand for
our services. Static supply coupled with increasing demand should result in
increased price.

If you are booked out solid for the next six months, you may not be
charging enough. If you increase your rates and business drops
precipitously, you may have raised them too much.

'Tis a delicate balance.

In previous threads along this line, I don't ever recall anyone saying that
their business fell off after a rate increase.  Of course, my memory might
be suspect and/or wishful... ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

-My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.
It's gone right now and didn't leave a forwarding address.