Tuning fees, was Re: ethics question

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:35:14 -0700

> But the piano will get tuned eventually.   Let's not keep our fees low to
> counter-act the discretionary spending aspect of tuning the piano.   When they
> do have us tune it needs to be a reasonable fee.
>
> David I.

>Season that food for thought with this, however.

>Piano maintenance is 99 44/100% discretionary spending.

>Compare:
>That septic tank NEEDS to be pumped.
>That piano NEEDS to be tuned.

>Q: Which need is more likely to be postponed/ignored if the service rate
>goes up?
>A: Probably the same one for which there was a price check BEFORE the work
>was done.

>I don't like it either, but that's the way things are.
>Conrad H.

Well, that's the way things are with most piano owners, but some piano
owners are 1) world-class professionals, who will pay anything for the best
service 2) passionate amateurs who will pay anything for the best service
3) wealthy people with good pianos who don't ever experience ups and downs
economically.

The trick is to get all those clients, or a lot of 'em, in your little area.

To do that, you have to be really, really good.  And calm.  And generally on
time. And, apparently, according to Dean, pleasant-smelling.

To be that guy (transgender) that has all the best clients means you're
doing a LOT more than tuning, and it means you're a serious voicer, like it
or not.

Make your self as indispensable as possible to long-haul, nice, smart
clients. Bring value to your clients on every level.

There's gold just lying around, as Roger Jolly says.  You just have to know
how to recognize it and pick it up.

>What we as technicians have to do is help our customers keep piano
>maintenance as a high priority.
Amen, brother.

Best.....

David Andersen