Micrometer Selection

Matthew Todd pianotech88@yahoo.com
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 08:57:07 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings all,

I am thinking about purchasing a micrometer, or maybe put it on my Christmas list for the wife to look at, and I wanted to know what you all thought would be good.  I narrowed it down to two (same price, they're both $80 bucks).  Are they the same, or is one a little better than the other.  I copy and pasted the descriptions from Sears Craftsman below.  Thanks! , Matthew

Craftsman Micrometer with Wood Case
Sears item #00940781000 Mfr. model #40781
Electronic digital readout micrometer reading to .00005 in./.001mm with auto on/off. English/metric switchable with floating zero setting. Friction thimble with lock. Carbide-tipped anvil and spindle.

Craftsman 1 to 2 in. Micrometer, Mechanical Digital
Sears item #00938731000 Mfr. model #38731
Direct readings eliminate complicated conversions. Counter reads direct to 0.001 in. Vernier scale is accurate to 0.0001 in. Hammer finished frame with carbide-tipped anvil and spindle.