Micrometer Selection

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:11:03 -0400

Matthew,

The 2nd one measures from 1 to 2 in. Is that what you want? IOW, it cannot
measure less than 1 in. so you cannot use it to measure strings, center pins
etc.

The 1st one is electronic digital which is convenient for switching from
English to metric. I have never used and electronic digital. I use a
mechanical digital (Mitutoyo) 1 in. and it is great.

Jerry Cohen

NJ Chapter.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Matthew Todd
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 11:57 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Micrometer Selection

Greetings all,

I am thinking about purchasing a micrometer, or maybe put it on my Christmas
list for the wife to look at, and I wanted to know what you all thought
would be good.  I narrowed it down to two (same price, they're both $80
bucks).  Are they the same, or is one a little better than the other.  I
copy and pasted the descriptions from Sears Craftsman below.  Thanks! ,
Matthew

Craftsman Micrometer with Wood Case

  <http://www.sears.com/images/layout/pixel.gif>
Sears item #00940781000 Mfr. model #40781

  <http://www.sears.com/images/layout/pixel.gif>
Electronic digital readout micrometer reading to .00005 in./.001mm with auto
on/off. English/metric switchable with floating zero setting. Friction
thimble with lock. Carbide-tipped anvil and spindle.

Craftsman 1 to 2 in. Micrometer, Mechanical Digital

  <http://www.sears.com/images/layout/pixel.gif>
Sears item #00938731000 Mfr. model #38731

  <http://www.sears.com/images/layout/pixel.gif>
Direct readings eliminate complicated conversions. Counter reads direct to
0.001 in. Vernier scale is accurate to 0.0001 in. Hammer finished frame with
carbide-tipped anvil and spindle.

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo!
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/50x/*http:/promotions.yahoo.com/new
_mail/static/efficiency.html>  Mail - 50x more storage than other providers!