Micrometer source

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 04:25:24 -0500

At 21:37 9/30/2004, you wrote:
>"I use a simple 1" (Mitutoyo) micrometer for those where I can fit it.
>For those core wires, etc. which are too close together, I use a vernier
>caliper (also Mitutoyo). With it, I can even do all the core wires and
>plain wire in the pin area without bending over - the back _is_ getting
>older, you know... ;-}"
>
>Being the Captain of the Tool Police, I'll have to take exception to this
>technique. Use ONE tool to do the measuring, else you will not have the
>consistency needed to evaluate scales, etc. (i.e. if you take the plain
>wire with one tool and then use a different tool for the bass, there will
>be a disparity. Generally, the standard micrometer, (such as the Mitutoyo
>1"), will not flex/distort enough to give inconsistent readings, due to
>too much muscle used. Whereas, the standard caliper will "flex" quite a
>bit and consequently will need more finesse to exact consistent
>measurements. Just my experience. Personally, I use a Mitutoyo, 1", spring
>loaded, micrometer, (essentially square in shape), for all my string
>diameter measurements.
>Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
>Captain, Tool Police
>Squares R I

Oh, Captain, my Captain,

I generally agree with what you say, BUT...

I kinda grew up in my father's machine shop and learned a consistent touch
from the machinists who worked there.  As I mentioned in another sentence,
I do doublecheck after the strings are out or at least slack.  I very
rarely find any disagreement between the two.

The only difference creeps in when the old eyes have trouble reading the
vernier scale on the caliper.  The vernier scale on the mike barrel is much
easier to see. Them newfangled dial thingies are easier on the eyes, but
with more moving parts they are more prone to wear and inconsistencies
which call for recalibration.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.