Micrometer source

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:37:50 -0700

"I use a simple 1" (Mitutoyo) micrometer for those where I can fit it.
For those core wires, etc. which are too close together, I use a vernier =

caliper (also Mitutoyo). With it, I can even do all the core wires and=20
plain wire in the pin area without bending over - the back _is_ getting=20
older, you know... ;-}"

Being the Captain of the Tool Police, I'll have to take exception to =
this technique. Use ONE tool to do the measuring, else you will not have =
the consistency needed to evaluate scales, etc. (i.e. if you take the =
plain wire with one tool and then use a different tool for the bass, =
there will be a disparity. Generally, the standard micrometer, (such as =
the Mitutoyo 1"), will not flex/distort enough to give inconsistent =
readings, due to too much muscle used. Whereas, the standard caliper =
will "flex" quite a bit and consequently will need more finesse to exact =
consistent measurements. Just my experience. Personally, I use a =
Mitutoyo, 1", spring loaded, micrometer, (essentially square in shape), =
for all my string diameter measurements.
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I