micrometers.....

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:13:48 -0700

Carl said: "I've long used a dial caliper for it.  Caught hell from =
jumpin' Joe Garrett
of the tool police for being too cheap to buy a micrometer.

I think a caliper is plenty accurate for measuring wire.  After all we =
are
mainly checking an original scale and one or two thousands make little
difference on the graph.  We really just want to see the general shape =
of
the tension/ inh curve.  Pscale then give an accurate dimension for the =
new
strings which is the important thing."

Carl,
"Jumpin' Joe" here!<G> If you believe all of the above crap, then I've =
wasted a whole lot of my time, in our conversations, for naught! :-(  =
Cheap-ass calipers are NOT accurate enough to do the job. AND, if all =
you're looking at is "tension/inh curve", then you're wasting everyone's =
time/energy/money, including your own! "one or two thousands" makes a =
helluva lot of difference in music wire/scales. That's why they made the =
damned stuff in .001" increments! Duh!<G> BTW, why don't you get a good =
scale program?<G>
(BTW, Carl & I are kindred spirits of like mind, MOST of the time. He's =
just a cheapskate, who likes to rattle my cage every once in a =
while.<G>hehe)
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police