lifting strings

Paul McCloud pmc033@earthlink.net
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:38:08 -0700

I attended a class given by Charles Faulk who has invented a tool which can help level strings either up or down.  Go to www.faulkpiano.com and check it out.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

----- Original Message -----
From: Stéphane Collin
To: Pianotech
Sent: 09/30/2004 9:57:06 AM
Subject: lifting strings

Hello dear list.

I would like to improve my string lifting skills.
After a new stringing job and a decent first pass on action regulation, when the strings have been tuned about 6 times and have stretched out a little, I take my hook and lift all the strings once to ensure a good termination at agraffees (or capo).
Then, I take a little piece of straight aluminium, 1 mm thick and wide as three unissons, that I put on the strings at the place of striking line.  Plucking the strings tells me what string is higher than the others, as the piece of aluminium sits on them and mutes them.
Ok, nothing new up 'till now.
My problem is that I have a hard time to do an accurate job here.  The strings respond very well to the first hook pull, but after that, to refine the string height, I find that some strings still respond to hook pull, some others no way and stay at the same height.  I try then to lower the strings that are too high by knocking on them close to the agraffee with a caoutchouc hammer on a brass rod, but again, some will get down, some others no way.  I end up with a quite good but not perfect job, which saddens me much.

Any ideas about how to improve this technique ?
And yes, sarcasms welcome foreseen that they accompany a good idea (smile).

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.