pscale was micrometers.....

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:46:52 -0700

So what's "a good scale program" - preferable to pScale?
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
  Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 10:14 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: Re: micrometers.....

  Carl said: "I've long used a dial caliper for it.  Caught hell from
jumpin' Joe Garrett
  of the tool police for being too cheap to buy a micrometer.

  I think a caliper is plenty accurate for measuring wire.  After all we are
  mainly checking an original scale and one or two thousands make little
  difference on the graph.  We really just want to see the general shape of
  the tension/ inh curve.  Pscale then give an accurate dimension for the
new
  strings which is the important thing."

  Carl,
  "Jumpin' Joe" here!<G> If you believe all of the above crap, then I've
wasted a whole lot of my time, in our conversations, for naught! :-(
Cheap-ass calipers are NOT accurate enough to do the job. AND, if all you're
looking at is "tension/inh curve", then you're wasting everyone's
time/energy/money, including your own! "one or two thousands" makes a
helluva lot of difference in music wire/scales. That's why they made the
damned stuff in .001" increments! Duh!<G> BTW, why don't you get a good
scale program?<G>
  (BTW, Carl & I are kindred spirits of like mind, MOST of the time. He's
just a cheapskate, who likes to rattle my cage every once in a
while.<G>hehe)
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police