Voicing for a big, dead hall

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 06:58:06 -0800

Barbara,

With respect for the piano -- has anyone considered voicing the piano so it
sounds good and then using some appropriate amplification? The results are
generally much less bad than the hammer butchery required to get the piano
to make up for the limitations of the hall.

Most of the things you can do to a piano to give them POWER and make the
PROJECT will also detract some from their musicality.

Personally, I've just about quit going to large concerts -- especially in
"dead" halls -- and have walked out of others for just this reason. The
piano gets pushed beyond its musical limits and I've grown tired of
listening to the hard, brittle sound that generally is the result of trying
to "get this baby to sing."

Perhaps we also should adapt the credo, "first, do no harm...."

Del