Voicing for a big, dead hall

Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:36:53 +0100

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>Most of the things you can do to a piano to give them POWER and make the
>PROJECT will also detract some from their musicality.

Kinda depends on what working definition of power we are dealing with.
The kind of power and projection that Andre is talking about, and
creates routinely has everything to do with musicality.

>Personally, I've just about quit going to large concerts -- especially in
>"dead" halls -- and have walked out of others for just this reason. The
>piano gets pushed beyond its musical limits and I've grown tired of
>listening to the hard, brittle sound that generally is the result of trying
>to "get this baby to sing."

I agree.  I am becomming more and more convinced that this has to do
with a misunderstood concept of what voicing is all about. In fact, the
more I get into this the more I feel it is very much an art form with 9
toes in the endangered species zone.  It is possible however, to get
very much power out of a piano, very much brilliance, without the harsh
crashy sounds that many of us have come to regard with disdain.

>Perhaps we also should adapt the credo, "first, do no harm...."
>
>Del

Cheers
RicB