iron frame painting

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:47:13 -0500

Hi Coello,

I wouldn't think you would want any paint in the holes, especially in =
the treble, as that would diminish the sustain (appreciably, I bet!).  I =
also would bet that paint wicked down the agraffe threading would sieze =
the threads.  My understanding is that you would remove the agraffes and =
plug the holes before painting, but others on the list could answer that =
question better than I.  Similarly, you wouldn't want any paint on the =
capo bar.  I don't know about the hitch pins.

You asked about cleaning agraffes.  There are several chemicals (not =
creams or pastes) that remove corrosion from numerous metals.  Here in =
the US, there's Tarn-X, for instance.  This product works great on brass =
as well and is quite gentle on the metal.  (All it does is dissolve the =
corrosion.)  After cleaning with Tarn-X, the sheen of the brass can be =
restored with very light polishing.

My related question to the list (really the only reason I'm posting a =
response, since others here would know more about painting plates):  =
Brass gets brittle with age, of course.  True, it can be softened a bit =
by heating it.  However, how old is too old?  At what age is it a good =
idea simply to retire the old agraffes and buy new?

Still related:  Is an agraffe an agraffe, or are there important quality =
differences?  If so, what is the best source of agraffe?

Peace,
Sarah

  ----- Original Message -----=20