Bose Question - continued

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 23:33:23 +0100

Hello,

"close the coils" , I try to say that I work them with a brass punch once in
the piano (and with round nose pliers if necessary before stringing) , so
the coils are tight and the stabilization is faster. I also make sure that
the eyelet are sitting at the lower position on the pin, I've seen pins that
where bending because the loop was not inserted low enough,  I tap them
again with a brass blade.
Yes that make them harder to get out indeed, I thought it was better to have
them tight, even the double type.

If you get the loops out of your setup to wind the coils around the string
(holding the loop with round nose pliers I presume) you loose most of the
benefit of having a firm support to work with, this is the point I don't
get. I was instructed to wind the eyelet after having made the coil, on the
same hook shaped setup that is on a wood block firmly pressed on a bench,
eventually near the piano, but indeed that is better to make all eyelets
before stringing.

Regards from the VITRY sur Seine country farm , we have 3 pigeons and 2
dogs, kind of wild life if you see what I mean.

Isaac Oleg
  Issac asks:
   "I don't understand why making that small bend, the wire will
  straighten anyway, and we have to close the coils also. (?)"
  This is Ron Overs' contributiuon - and a very fine one too. If you examine
any standard long helically twisted hitch loop you'll find the loop retains
its size and consequent ease of removal even after years uf use. Ron's
suggestion of a "small kink" right at the coil examines the fact that the
coil will otherwise tighten during the initial taughtening of the string to
playing tension. The "kink" will stop this from happening - and I applaud
  What actually do you mean by "... have to close the coils also" Isaac?
  signed..... "intrigued in Sussex"
  Regards
  Michael G (UK)