Rebuild Sales Approach

Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:47:17 -0700

Education is difficult if people are not asking for it.  You might consider creating an informational website that explains in layman's terms the ins and outs of piano/soundboard/action performance and don't hesitate to refer them to it for basic information.  There, they can get the information at their leisure and it will prompt questions about the performance of their own piano.  Let your customer know that the action work will improve the piano but ask what their ultimate goals are for the instrument.   Advise and demonstrate some of the existing problems that will not be resolved by a new set of hammers etc..  Invite them into you shop to see a completed project.  When they haven't asked for help, you have to proceed cautiously.  Take the approach that you would be remiss in your responsibilities as a professional if you didn't give them good and complete information so that they can make informed decisions based on their goals and budgets.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Farrell
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 4/29/2004 9:03:32 AM
Subject: Rebuild Sales Approach

I've been servicing a 1920s S&S L for five years. It plays like a truck, has loose tuning pins, dead bass strings, false beats and a dismal killer octave section. The owner knows the action is toast and wants it rebuilt. However, his wife has commented on how nice it sounds since Mr. Patchemup restrung (totally rebuilt, of course) the piano some thirty years ago. For some reason I am hesitant to try and sell the whole package - which it definitely needs if the piano is to perform like it should/could.

Any recommendations on how to approach this without sounding like a used car salesman?

He has already told me he wants to do the action after he moves this summer (to a condo on the bay - as in no $$ troubles here).

Thanks.

Terry Farrell