Ringing dampers in drop action

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:38:45 -0600

Hi Julia,
If the dampers are lifting late it is not a spoon problem.

Spinets are a little like working on a foreign car in the 1960s. You =
went to a special mechanic and paid 4 times as much to get the job done =
as you would have paid on a domestic car.
One of the reasons that spinets are in horrible shape is that they are =
harder to work on as even taking the action out requires a good half =
hour, and without experience one can have broken parts from just trying =
to fix things.

My guess is that the dampers are hard or just resting on the string at =
the top of the damper allowing the string to continue to ring.Also the =
key stroke may not be what the piano really needs. ( ask JACK )
Some ( not all <G> ) spinets can be made to play quite musically. Not =
many though.
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 1:14 PM
  Subject: Ringing dampers in drop action

  Greetings,=20

               A few days ago I posted a question about ringing dampers =
in a Cable-Nelson spinet piano about ringing dampers. I returned to the =
piano to check out some of the suggested possibilities of what may be =
causing the problem.=20

               The pedal rod's "lost motion"  was okay, however the =
damper lift on most of the keys' keystroke was a bit late. I think it =
may a spoon problem. My question is how does one adjust the spooons on a =
spinet? They are really "buried" in there. Is there a special tool for =
reaching back there or must one remove the entire drop action? (Ugh, not =
so fun.)  =20

                Also, what is a "dummy rod"? I looked for one of those =
or what may possibly look like one and did not see one. It was suggested =
to install one if there was none. Can someone expound on "dummy rod" and =
its function. I am not sure I understood the explaination about the =
damper tails, their angle and the rod. If a dummy rod is to be =
installed, which I haven't ruled out yet, must one make a dummy rod or =
can they be purchased?=20

                Lastly, is a spinet really worth all this? (as an =
ameteur classical player myself, I don't think so) Is a "quick fix" of =
just bending the damper wires so bad after all?=20

  Thank you,
  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA