Ringing dampers in drop action

CChristus chchristus@earthlink.net
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 00:57:04 -0400

Julie,

In case no one has mentioned this yet:  Make sure your damper flanges are
not plastic before you start to bend any wires back there.  In fact, could
this be part of the problem?

Good luck!

Chuck Christus

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Alpha88x@aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 3:14 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Ringing dampers in drop action

Greetings,

             A few days ago I posted a question about ringing dampers in a
Cable-Nelson spinet piano about ringing dampers. I returned to the piano to
check out some of the suggested possibilities of what may be causing the
problem.

             The pedal rod's "lost motion"  was okay, however the damper
lift on most of the keys' keystroke was a bit late. I think it may a spoon
problem. My question is how does one adjust the spooons on a spinet? They
are really "buried" in there. Is there a special tool for reaching back
there or must one remove the entire drop action? (Ugh, not so fun.)

              Also, what is a "dummy rod"? I looked for one of those or what
may possibly look like one and did not see one. It was suggested to install
one if there was none. Can someone expound on "dummy rod" and its function.
I am not sure I understood the explaination about the damper tails, their
angle and the rod. If a dummy rod is to be installed, which I haven't ruled
out yet, must one make a dummy rod or can they be purchased?

              Lastly, is a spinet really worth all this? (as an ameteur
classical player myself, I don't think so) Is a "quick fix" of just bending
the damper wires so bad after all?

Thank you,
Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA