The All new Hero Hammers !!

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:00:32 EDT

    Hi Joe & list
      I got to thinking about the subject of hammer density after this
discussion & others privately & What I hear people saying is I don't wan to needle
till my elbow falls off including me is, & others who say I want a hammer I
don't have to lacquer. Lacquers just wrong or whatever. We want a hammer that
sounds great in every piano every time. NO work, pouf, put em on & they let you
be the hero. Right!
 SO why can't we get these kind of hammers?  Well, some times we can or at
least get close. It depends. The size of the soundboard & it's given mechanical
impedance, string scale, crown & bearing all contribute to determine the
amount of stiffness required in the hammer to create the optimal kind of tone for
that piano. I hear Ric saying, define optimal. Any way so all the hammer makers
can do is come close to some sort of middle road of hammer felt density that
gives a medium to work with that isn't giving us fits to get the desired tonal
result we all want.
 SO for those who like the Ronsen, Isaac, Stwy ish hammers we think why don't
they make them denser or why don't the Renner,yamaha-ish hammer makers ease
up on the pressure & heat so less needling is required. I think the answer is
because they don't want to. Each has there reason other than economic & it's
philosophical.
  However we don't care about that, we want them to care about what we want.
I think Andre has the right idea & he has gone to the Renner maker& asked for
a type of hammer persistently until he's getting it'. Bravo Andre.
   Now I understand  we can't buy your hammer Andre because of Renners deal
with Renner USA & Lloyd Meyer so the  American Techs who want a hero hammer
need to ask Renner USA & Abel or whoever for a hammer which is made with less
pressure & heat & let the  felt breathe & spring  more. Then we can needle a
little or juice a little without detriment to the integrity of the felt & the
felt will be a more preserved & cooperative like felt spring not a cotton ball
or  a rock. For those of us who liek the product the way iot is then do nothing.
   IN fairness we must aske the non lacquer techs to Call on Isaac, Stwy &
Ronsen to use more pressure & heat so we have the same situation  as the renner
ish type felt. For those of us who like the product as is then also do nothing
  Each company can still make there preferred style of hammer but have new
line of slightly denser or slightly not as dense hammers & everyone can be a
hero & the customer & the tone qualiuty of music is the benificiary As well as
our lungs & elbows!!!!!!!!!
  If this idea has any merit please let me know. I'm willing to ask
   Dale Erwin
Seriously I'm right there with you.Thanks for the Rant. Makes no sense to me>
 Dale
Dale,
If you'd have copied my whole quote, you'd know I said: " Some Techs
use....." I don't personally see the need for that sort of hammer
destruction. If a hammer needs the "30 jabs, deeply into the 3 to 7 o'clock
area, for prevoicing, those hammers are crap and I won't use them. If
someone has put a set of these "BBs" on a piano and I have to deal with
them, it's STEAM/ALCOHOL-WATER OR GARBAGE CAN! The sooner we start throwing
those rock hard hammers back at the manufacturers, or better yet, quit
buying them, the sooner they'll wake up and smell the futility of their
economics. The only damned reason they make these is because they can make
multiple sets in a very short time and make a huge profit. Let us all
support Hammer Makers like Ron Negron, (Ronsen Hammers) and tell the rest to
put there hammers where it's the darkest! (I woke up on the wrong side of
the bed this morning!<G>) End of Rant!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police