Steinway V hammers

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:21:56 EDT

Tom writes:
<< New Steinway hammers on an old V don't sound as good as the old ones.   I
have sanded off the fuzz a bit, but I'm wondering:   do they need to be
lacquered
like the grand hammers do?   They sure seem on the dull side... >>

It appears that ALL STeinway hammers need to be soaked with at least a 5/1
thinned out lacquer before they begin to speak.  The factory demo was to soak
them from the crown down, but I have preferred to "edge" up to the "edge" by
soaking the shoulders, heavily, and letting the solution migrate towards the
center of the hammer.  If necessary, another eyedropper full can be dumped in
farther up the shoulder.
As delivered, these things are more sponge than hammer.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT