Ringing dampers in drop action

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:19:01 EDT

Greetings,

             Cable Nelson spinet with  drop action has dampers that ring when
the key is played. I tried bending the dampers a bit forward as a quick fix
for the inevitable; either new damper springs or re-tensioning the springs via
messsage; putting a curvature back in the springs by tenderly
bending/messaging them while the action is inside the piano.

              Which is better to do; re-tension the springs outside the piano
(ooo, my back, alot of bending over) or removing the action and doing the
same thing OR removing the action and just replacing those springs?

              On another line of thought, what could be some other causes
that this problem exists? When I push slightly on the strings the damper does not
"hug" or follow the string. This indicates to me that the spring tension is
weak, but could somehing else be wrong that imitates the symptom of the damper
not "hugging"/ following the string?

Julia Gottchall,
Reading, PA