Lacquer or what?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:04:23 EDT

In a message dated 4/22/2004 7:33:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jkanter@rollingball.com writes:
So what's the current best practice for brightening hammers? What I learned
30+ years ago from Sheldon Smith was: applying judicious amounts of a 1/8
solution of lacquer to the shoulders, followed immediately by a shot of pure
thinner right on the crown.

For those who use lacquer, what brand? And what other hardeners are also in
use, and which should be avoided?

Jason

> btw... Whats Delwins take on hammers and laquer ?  Seem to remember he
> went further then we do over here for the natural  hammer resiliancy
> side.  No... this is one of those typical <<opinions vary>>
> questions....and so it should be :)

     Jason.
   Your question has a multi faceted answer based on a multitude of
variations.
    I was  acquianted with the Sheldon  but do not recall discussing this.
But I do know from working with Raw Steinway hammers that most of the time one
will not get to the desired result using the above mentioned protocol. You may
however turn the shoulders into imovable stone objects & still not get the
tone  where you wish it to be. The whole hammer must be soaked. You can do it in
a variety of different ways with a variety of strengths of solutions but they
are too to numerous to detail on the list & disagreements will ensue breaking
out into rancorous arguments & shouting matches. If your talking Steinway
hammers then I suggest you follow their protocol. If your talking Ronsen Or Isaac
that is also different. The inherent stiffens of the hammer is going to
determine the amounts & location. IN any case Call me as a phone call would be
inherently more beneficial. I'd be glad to give you my take on this.
  Dale

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357