Ringing dampers in drop action

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:24:53 -0500

Is the damper pedal lifting too soon?
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Artisan of Wood
WWW.JamesGrebe.com
1526 Raspberry Lane
Arnold, MO 63010
pianoman@accessus.net
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2004 11:19 AM
  Subject: Ringing dampers in drop action

  Greetings,

               Cable Nelson spinet with  drop action has dampers that =
ring when the key is played. I tried bending the dampers a bit forward =
as a quick fix for the inevitable; either new damper springs or =
re-tensioning the springs via messsage; putting a curvature back in the =
springs by tenderly bending/messaging them while the action is inside =
the piano.

                Which is better to do; re-tension the springs outside =
the piano (ooo, my back, alot of bending over) or removing the action =
and doing the same thing OR removing the action and just replacing those =
springs?=20

                On another line of thought, what could be some other =
causes that this problem exists? When I push slightly on the strings the =
damper does not "hug" or follow the string. This indicates to me that =
the spring tension is weak, but could somehing else be wrong that =
imitates the symptom of the damper not "hugging"/ following the string?

  Julia Gottchall,
  Reading, PA