No needling here: to steam, or not to steam?

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 00:44:30 EDT

Thanks to everyone who has responded.  Lots of good insight.

Steam is definitely out.

The acetone wash seems like a good short-term fix, but I don't really like
using the stuff.  I once used it to clean my bicycle chain.  The chain fell
apart bit by bit shortly afterward.  I've been wary of it ever since.

I will try some traditional needling to see if I get any response.  If that
fails, I will bring up the possibility of the wash, but unless there's a whole
lot of felt left on the old ones, I'll recommend that she get a new set of
hammers.

Thanks again to all who responded.  I'll see the piano tomorrow, and will
give a follow-up report in the next few days.

Dave S.