Making Flange Rail

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:12:38 -0700

D.L. said: "Does anyone know where I can find a router or shaper bit for
making the rail
that fits the standard piano flange?  I really have needed one several times
recently."
D.L. Bullock    St. Louis

D.L.
Take a standard Rabbit Bit, (preferably Carbide), take it to a machinist and
have him/her(?) cut the proper configuration in it.<G> Either that or if you
have a Shaper (One of the most dangerous machines in a shop), there are
large Rabbiting cutters, etc., that can be modified for the job. Probably a
good idea to take an olde rail with you when you try to explain it to the
Machinist, so's he don't try to re-invent the darned process.[G] (one of my
pet peeves with machinists.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police