needling technique

Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:50:59 +0200

Keith McGavern wrote:

> At 6:12 PM +0200 4/20/04, Quentin Codevelle wrote:
>
>> ... Is this Mr Isaac doing seminars in order to see how his technique
>> works?
>
>> I've never heard this technique before.
>
>> If Andre tells it is dangerous, then it must be ;-)
>

> Sir Quentin,
> First, welcome aboard.
> Second, I have met the man and can assure that Ari Isaac is nobody's fool.

I dont think anyone would even dream of suggesting otherwise. Aris story
is a great one to read.

> A thorough investigation of his method of madness for voicing, and its
> particulars will better serve you, than just accepting another's word
> at face value, even someone with incredible credentials.

I certainly have to agree with this statement.  By all means investigate
the subject matter thoroughly.  I can only say that In my own search for
the holy grail of  voicing I've tried most everything. Steam,
water/alcohol, laquer of various sorts, LWHT, Stanwood Zone 60 weights,
pliers, centerpin punch (to literally rip out a 1mm Ø peice of felt from
the side),  Franz Mohrs crown only method, needling everywhich way you
can think of (other then standard).... you name it.  And each time I
found there was really quite a bit lacking. Oh sometimes I was more
pleased in the begining then others.  The two single best alternatives
to traditional voicing I've found are a slight twist on Rogers steam
voicing, and Franz Mohrs approach.  Problem with both is premature
hammer wear resulting in way too many and aggressive filings.

Sideways needling will definiantly quiet things down... but you loose
too much dynamics this way.  Course if your set of hammers wont respond
to anything else, and you are not able to put a set of hammers on that
will... then ... welll how is it said...?? "a mans gotta do what a mans
gotta do... I'm going down there and waiste those suckers"  :)

All that said.... I simply have to say it... when I finally decided to
try and master the traditional art...     (which means accepting useing
only very high quality and appropriate hammers for that tradition)   I
finally started to get the kind of results I was always looking for.
That <<Voice>> is a wholistic thing... comprised of what hammer you
select, and how you handle it.  The best so far by far, the most
resiliant, most longlasting,  most predictable and thereby easiest to
manipulate to a premeditated result, is when I use very good hammers
appropriate for voicing by needling and needle in the traditional way.

Its a fascinating journey tho... so by all means take it. Try out as
much as you can until you arrive at the technique that will yeild you
<<The Voice>>... whatever that turns out to be for you personally.

> As to whether is currently doing seminars, inquire at
> http://www.pin.ca/ari/
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Keith
>
>--