needling technique

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:41:14 EDT

In a message dated 20/04/04 11:31:33 AM, antares@euronet.nl writes:

<< Sticking a needle in from the side (as described by Mr Ari Isaac) will

puncture just a fraction of the layered hammer and if you stick it all

the way through you damage one layer for ever.>>

Andre as in most thingees with pianos there are exceptions to your rule! :-)
Sticking from the side has its very difinite uses and should not be summarily
dismissed....just because "it isn't done that way"........
 Often in a situation of undesirable percusiveness, that responds to no other
method, side needling is indeed beneficial and in my opinion not overly
harmful to the hammer.
Of course as with everything else in piano stuff side needling can be
overdone, or misdone, and that is not the fault of the practice rather it is the
fault of the practicioner........

<<It is not my method in any case and there is also no factory on Earth

using the sideway needling technique. >>
Don't bet your Dowry on this statement my friend. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)