needling technique

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:10:03 +0200

On 20-apr-04, at 18:41, JIMRPT@aol.com wrote:

> Andre as in most thingees with pianos there are exceptions to your
> rule! :-)

Of course Jim!

> Sticking from the side has its very difinite uses and should not be
> summarily
> dismissed....just because "it isn't done that way"........

It was not my intention to suggest that. That's why I said "It is not
my method in any case".

>  Often in a situation of undesirable percusiveness, that responds to
> no other
> method, side needling is indeed beneficial and in my opinion not overly
> harmful to the hammer.
> Of course as with everything else in piano stuff side needling can be
> overdone, or misdone, and that is not the fault of the practice rather
> it is the
> fault of the practicioner........

Oh I agree that side needling will have an effect, sure, why not?
Sticking in a thick needle will indeed puff up the hammer, just like
with the other method.
I just don't agree with this method because a. it is impractical, b.
too much damage is done to a felt layer getting punctured all the way
trough to the other side, and c. the so called normal method is much
more economical and works with all so called normal hammers.

> <<It is not my method in any case and there is also no factory on Earth
> using the sideway needling technique. >>

> Don't bet your Dowry on this statement my friend. :-)

Sure, now that you gave me  a hint, I won't. It might very well be
possible that some obscure factory in Antarctica uses this inefficient
technique. (; > ))

In any case, you know that I have been to some factories and at least
in Europe (sigh... here we go again!) this method is not in use.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Amsterdam -