Kranich & Bach

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:11:09 -0500

  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Tom Driscoll
  Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2004 10:49 PM
  To: 'Pianotech'
  Subject: RE: Kranich & Bach

  A customer has a Kranich & Bach grand c. 1902 that needs everything.  The
  backchecks are the same as any typical vertical piano...that's just as you
  picture a vertical in your mind, with no buckskin over the felt.  The ends
  of the hammer tails are wrapped with buckskin.
  Paul C

              Paul,

              Our old pal Newton referred to these as Kronich Backache!

              I recently serviced a similar vintage K&B.

              This particular piano had the odd back check-hammer tail
arrangement as you describe, and had no checking problems.

              I do agree that conversion to the standard leather back
check-conventional hammer tail would be in order .but the existing design
can be functional

              Other design problems do exist on these pianos.

              The action brackets extend under the keys, making stack
removal and especially reinstallation on the key frame very difficult

              The keyframe itself  is very thin and flexible without glides

              Also the trap work under the key bed on many of these is a
cumbersome iron contraption that may be difficult to work with.

              The whippen is also unconventional and may pose
repair -regulation problems.

              My impression of these is that they were like many of the
older Chickering designs, with a high a standard of material -workmanship
and God-awful awkward designs.

              Good luck,

              Newton is chuckling from the piano shop in the purple
dimension.

              Tom Driscoll
  [Paul Chick (Earthlink)]

  Thanks, Tom.  I've copied yours and Dale's notes, and, yes, it has the
action brackets, key frame, etc., as you describe.  The owner loves the
period case, refinished by a competent shop.  So, now she wants it to play
without her "arms aching" and stay in tune.  She has been using foam ear
plugs to mute the strings that slip out of tune.  They look like pastel
flowers growing from the soundboard.  I admire her resourcefulness.

  Paul C