Kranich & Bach

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:48:56 -0400

To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Kranich & Bach

In a message dated 4/18/2004 6:28:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tune4@earthlink.net writes:

Hello Members
A customer has a Kranich & Bach grand c. 1902 that needs everything.
The
backchecks are the same as any typical vertical piano...that's just as
you
picture a vertical in your mind, with no buckskin over the felt.  The
ends
of the hammer tails are wrapped with buckskin.  The action is so far out
of
regulation the hammers won't check, so I can't gauge the affectivness.
The
customer wants the piano to "work" and is not concerned about preserving
anything historical.  Has anyone converted one of these actions to the
usual
grand back check and hammer tail?  Other than the above arrangement, the
action and keys appear to be a conventional style, but no una corda or
sustenuto.
Thank you.

Paul C

            Paul,

            Our old pal Newton referred to these as Kronich Backache!

            I recently serviced a similar vintage K&B.

            This particular piano had the odd back check-hammer tail
arrangement as you describe, and had no checking problems.

            I do agree that conversion to the standard leather back
check-conventional hammer tail would be in order .but the existing
design can be functional

            Other design problems do exist on these pianos.

            The action brackets extend under the keys, making stack
removal and especially reinstallation on the key frame very difficult

            The keyframe itself  is very thin and flexible without
glides

            Also the trap work under the key bed on many of these is a
cumbersome iron contraption that may be difficult to work with.

            The whippen is also unconventional and may pose repair
-regulation problems.

            My impression of these is that they were like many of the
older Chickering designs, with a high a standard of material
-workmanship and God-awful awkward designs.

            Good luck,

            Newton is chuckling from the piano shop in the purple
dimension.

            Tom Driscoll