Kranich & Bach

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 08:55:10 -0500

  Subject: Re: Kranich & Bach

  In a message dated 4/18/2004 6:28:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tune4@earthlink.net writes:
    Hello Members
    A customer has a Kranich & Bach grand c. 1902 that needs everything.
The
    backchecks are the same as any typical vertical piano...that's just as
you
    picture a vertical in your mind, with no buckskin over the felt.
     Has anyone converted one of these actions to the usual
    grand back check and hammer tail?
    Paul C
        Paul
    I did one of these years ago & I believe we converted it to a modern
arrangement. It should be absolutely no problem at all. Are the backchecks
angled to the non angled hammer tails ? I'm just trying to recall the
details. If so I'd fix that to if the checks will turn easily. It depends on
how the metal is anchored in the check head. If it's threads , no problem if
its the flat spade arrangement then don't change it.
  [Paul Chick (Earthlink)]
  No. The back checks are straight to match the tails.  I don't know if the
heads are threaded or pressed on.  I have not determined if just the heads
or the heads and wires will be replaced.  I'm leaning towards replacing the
head and wire assembly.
  Thanks for your reply.

  Paul C