A 440 Standard

Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:47:14 +0200

Don A. Gilmore wrote:

>OK.  Yes, you could compensate for the higher frequency by using
>lighter-gauged strings.  The lighter gauge would result in less mass per
>unit length, which would produce a higher pitch at the same tension and
>length.
>
>To negate the 8% increase in tension would require an 8% decrease in
>corssectional area of the string (for bare steel strings).  This would
>require about a 4% reduction in diameter.  So a .030" dia. string would have
>to be reduced to .029, or about 1/2 a music wire size.  Not too bad.
>
>I wonder what it would do to the timbre though.

Good question actually...:)  what would be the affect of defining A at
466 (which is our present A#) and then in order to compensate for
tension simply shift the string diameter down one gauge over the entire
scale.

I suppose if one was clever enough about it all one could end up with a
net change of zip diddly excepting the fingering bit..

Or..... you could have all kinds of fun fooling around with different
combinations of string diameter vs desired pitch.

I seem to remember discussions going along those lines relative to the
440 vs 442 discussions that we enjoy so much so often :)

Cheers
RicB