A 440 Standard

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:31:13 -0500

OK.  Yes, you could compensate for the higher frequency by using
lighter-gauged strings.  The lighter gauge would result in less mass per
unit length, which would produce a higher pitch at the same tension and
length.

To negate the 8% increase in tension would require an 8% decrease in
corssectional area of the string (for bare steel strings).  This would
require about a 4% reduction in diameter.  So a .030" dia. string would have
to be reduced to .029, or about 1/2 a music wire size.  Not too bad.

I wonder what it would do to the timbre though.

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City