octave widths

pbmosley mosley@classicnet.net
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:51:55 -0500

I'm not really looking for the partials of the notes, I am trying to =
determine the best octave for an individual piano.  If there is a lot of =
inharmonicity, sometimes a 4:2 is too wide for the 2:1.  If you know all =
of the partial values in cents, how would you determine octave widths =
that fit the best.=20
A2
      1st partial
    =20
    =20
      2nd partial
     -6.72
    =20
      3nd partial
     -4.52
    =20
      4nd partial
     -2.57
    =20
      5nd partial
     0.48
    =20
      6nd partial
     3.27
    =20
      7nd partial
     6.92
    =20
      8nd partial
     5.85
    =20
=20
A3
      1st partial
     -1.06
    =20
      2nd partial
     -1.84
    =20
      3nd partial
     0.33
    =20
      4nd partial
     3.1
    =20
      5nd partial
     6.88
    =20
      6nd partial
     11.36
    =20
      7nd partial
     15.23
    =20
      8nd partial
     20.3
    =20

      A4

      1st partial
     0
    =20
      2nd partial
     1.27
    =20
      3nd partial
     4.28
    =20
      4nd partial
     9.99
    =20
      5nd partial
     15.99
    =20
      6nd partial
     23.27
    =20
      7nd partial
     31.84
    =20
      8nd partial
     41.46
    =20

This is A2 , A3 and A4 from a Wurlitzer spinet, we know all of the =
information of the partials and can see how much stretch there needs to =
be.  Is there a way to determine the beat rate of any type of octave =
from these numbers.  Is a 6:3 too wide in the tenor, probably, can these =
numbers prove that.  If I tuned a 4:2 octave, what would the beat rate =
be of the 2:1.  It is not the octave type that I need but determining =
which one fits the best to give me fairly clean octaves.  I believe the =
RCT has some of those capabilities to combine beats and cents =
measurements into its calculations, but what is the best way to take =
cents measurements and determine beat values?