What is the best way to become a Piano Technician?

Alpha88x@aol.com Alpha88x@aol.com
Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:21:18 EDT

Greetings Michael,

                  Some tuners train by reading and studying on their own and
going to PTG meetings and getting help and advice. Others do all of the above
and additionally, take a mail order coures such as Randy Potter's. Others go
to school at a college or a tuning school for a certificate course. I went to
school at the University of Western Ontario. They have an 8 month course. The
New England conservatory of Music has a 2 year program. The North Bennett
Street school in Boston also has a course. However the living expenses in Boston
are to my purse, outrageously expensive.

                  I chime for the Unversity of Western Ontario's 8 month
certificate course. I went 2002-03 school year.  It is the shortest course, the
most economically priced (as far as I know) and the living expenses in Canada
are very reasonable. The course is pretty good. Of course, there are alot of
things in school that you can study and go over, but when you get on a job in
real life after graduating, you almost need this PTG forum of advice because
there's always something new you don't know; especially when starting out.  I am
asking questions all the time, and everyone on this forum is helpful.

                  Up there in Canada they really teach you to tune. You
practice your tuning every day! You get comfortable and confident with it too.
It's grueling, but if you really want to do this, you'll probably love it. I know
I and my classmates did. In my class there were people ranging from ages 18
to 50. They only accept 14 students per year, and you must take some really
simple tests to be accepted. It's scary moving away for 8 months but everyone
that took the course was glad they did.
Best wishes for all your success. Their e-mail up there is:
pianotech@julian.uwo.ca

Hope this helps,
Julia Gottchall
rookie