octave widths

Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:21:19 -0700

I think your ears will be much quicker.  Cents to beat rates is tricky as it depends on where in the piano you are measuring.  Set up the VT with a few different stretch settings from narrow to wide (such as I recently posted on the VT website) and see which one matches what you hear.  That will be much faster than trying to calculate it out, not to mention figure in the weighting of how different partial relationships contribute to what you are hearing.  For a Wurlitzer spinet the temperament octave should be between a 2:1 and 4:2.  A2 will likely be tuned between a 4:2 and a 6:3--probably weighted slightly in favor of a 4:2.   Check my Style 1, it is designed for just such instruments.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: pbmosley
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 4/16/2004 2:05:32 PM
Subject: octave widths

I'm not really looking for the partials of the notes, I am trying to determine the best octave for an individual piano.  If there is a lot of inharmonicity, sometimes a 4:2 is too wide for the 2:1.  If you know all of the partial values in cents, how would you determine octave widths that fit the best.
A2
1st partial
2nd partial-6.72
3nd partial-4.52
4nd partial-2.57
5nd partial0.48
6nd partial3.27
7nd partial6.92
8nd partial5.85

A3
1st partial-1.06
2nd partial-1.84
3nd partial0.33
4nd partial3.1
5nd partial6.88
6nd partial11.36
7nd partial15.23
8nd partial20.3

A4
1st partial0
2nd partial1.27
3nd partial4.28
4nd partial9.99
5nd partial15.99
6nd partial23.27
7nd partial31.84
8nd partial41.46

This is A2 , A3 and A4 from a Wurlitzer spinet, we know all of the information of the partials and can see how much stretch there needs to be.  Is there a way to determine the beat rate of any type of octave from these numbers.  Is a 6:3 too wide in the tenor, probably, can these numbers prove that.  If I tuned a 4:2 octave, what would the beat rate be of the 2:1.  It is not the octave type that I need but determining which one fits the best to give me fairly clean octaves.  I believe the RCT has some of those capabilities to combine beats and cents measurements into its calculations, but what is the best way to take cents measurements and determine beat values?