"Bobbling" hammers on a new Yamaha U3. ( Please help! )

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:05:45 -0700 (PDT)

> Thing is... if the design (with regard to jack
> length and angle a.o.) is
> also borderline then you dont have a lot of room for
> error... and you
> start hearing comments like "its either power or
> bobbling" as we've
> heard.  Course you have to solve for bobbling. :)
>
> Cheers
> RicB

Yup. Did an ultra-super-careful keyleveling and lost
motion adjustment today ( using the
press-on-the-back-of-the-key-method ). Spent 5-1/2
hours on just these two items, and the bobbling DID go
away. But the letoff is still 5 to 10 mm throughout
the keyboard,  so I would be very surprised if some
bobbling did not return once I set this to the 1.5 to
3 mm authorized by Yamaha.
     I have never seen a piano so unforgiving, become
so unplayable, with such slight lost motion! I still
think that an overly fluffy buckskin, a too sharp edge
on the jack tip and some fricative aspect between the
bucksin and plastic jack are culpable.
 It made me think of a Jaguar automobile: Fun to drive
when in adjustment, but easily knocked out of whack.
    Will keep y'all posted.
    Thanks!
    Thump