!Re: "The Monstrous Medley of Maudlin Melodies" OT

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 16:41:49 -0400

Hi Thump,

Weeeeeellll... if many of these tunes were "insignificant throwaways," then
how did they achieve such popularity?  And more significantly, how did they
stand the test of time?  They must have meant something to *somebody* for
*some* reason.  Even though Rodgers and Hart might have considered
"Valentine" insignificant, I seriously doubt they considered it "bad."
Otherwise they wouldn't have released it to the world with their names on
it.

Granted, none of the pieces you mentioned are "high-brow" pieces, and like
you, I don't care much for some of them, but does that make them musically
bad?  Let's not forget that even Mozart wrote music for the common (wo)man
(on the side, as it were), in the same sense that Shakespeare wrote for
common audiences.  Their low brow works are not considered "bad" or even
trite.

In all of this mix, let's also not forget that music is more than just
music.  Music often reminds us of things that were significant in our
lives -- perhaps a special evening with a special someone -- perhaps someone
who went off to war and died in battle.  It also gives us a sense of
history.  For me, part of the appeal of early 20th Century music (and
cinematography) is the opportunity to step through a time portal and
experience a culture foreign to my own.  I'm inexplicably mesmerized by
pieces like "Mississippi Mud" (in all its racist glory) and "I'll See You In
My Dreams," which can only be fully appreciated by pulling out a genuine 78
and spinning it on a genuine Victrola.  I'm doubly mesmerized by movies such
as "The Grapes of Wrath" and "To Kill a Mockingbird," which can only
properly be viewed in black and white.  Music and art document and preserve
our history in ways that words simply cannot.

This all boils down to the question of what makes music good.  Different
people have different opinions, of course, but I like to think that music is
good when people find it meaningful, or when it paves the way to further
growth and diversification of the art form that people find meaningful.  In
this broad sense, I must grugdingly concede that "rap" must somehow be good
too -- in some sense that I truly do not comprehend.  In my opinion, all art
must, somehow, be good, if only to the artist, or else it wouldn't "be."
I'm not about to tell anyone that the art he or she loves is in any way
unworthy -- even though I admit to having to bite my lip to keep from
suggesting to kids that music perhaps *should* have elements such as notes,
melodies, etc.  ;-)

Others will of course disagree with my entire assessment of music and art,
insisting that it must exhibit certain elements in order to be good.  They
might be right, but on the other hand, I don't think we would have the rich
diversity of art we enjoy today if we had heeded their conservative voices
throughout history.

But of course the issue is the crowd-pleasing favorites that you are asked
to play ad nauseum.  I suggest that familiarity breeds contempt, even though
the music may not be inherently "bad."  I remember my mom telling me of
having attended a concert conducted by Igor Stravinsky.  At the end of the
concert,  the crowd roared, "Firebird!  Firebird!  Firebird!  Firebird!..."
Having completed what he thought was an excellent performance of other
works, he just stood there, motionless, in disbelief.  After a very long
pause, he drew a long, deep breath and said, "OK, OK....  Firebird," and
indulged them with an encore.  Apparently the "Firebird Suite" had become
one of his most hated works.  Me?  I enjoy Firebird, but I don't have to
hear it as much as Stravinsky did.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah