!Re: "The Monstrous Medley of Maudlin Melodies" OT

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:12:49 -0700 (PDT)

--- Sarah Fox <sarah@gendernet.org> wrote:
> Hi Thump,
>
> Weeeeeellll... if many of these tunes were
> "insignificant throwaways,"

That was Dick Rodgers' own assessment of MFV.
Though written in the 30's, this song was not popular
until Chet Baker did it in the early 50's, when post
war gloom and morbidity  allowed it to become
fashionable. (IMHO )

> Otherwise they wouldn't have released it to the
> world with their names on
> it.

Oh, piffle!

> Granted, none of the pieces you mentioned are
> "high-brow" pieces, and like
> you, I don't care much for some of them, but does
> that make them musically
> bad?

No. Just sickening to play.

For me, part of the appeal of early 20th
> Century music (and
> cinematography) is the opportunity to step through a
> time portal and
> experience a culture foreign to my own.

Agreed.

I'm
> inexplicably mesmerized by
> pieces like "Mississippi Mud" (in all its racist
> glory)

I once sang that on a street corner, in a  duet
version, with one of my best friends: a superb
Afro-American pianist who has been hailed
internationally as "the reincarnation of Art Tatum".
And at the height of the "Politically Correct" craze.
It was fun.

 and "I'll See You In
> My Dreams," which can only be fully appreciated by
> pulling out a genuine 78
> and spinning it on a genuine Victrola.

Remember to change your needle with every play! Better
yet, put your 78's away, visit www.redhotjazz.com, and
collapse on the floor in ecstasy!  ( "Radio Dismuke",
too.)
Different

> people have different opinions, of course,

Yes, but my opinion is the correct one.

In
> this broad sense, I must grugdingly concede that
> "rap" must somehow be good
> too

"Rap" exists to remind us all that we have allowed our
culture to be hijacked by vile, malevolent,
less-than-worthless creeps. And if we don't fight
back, they'll destroy us. You should have heard
Wynton Marsalis' BRILLIANT denegration of "Rap" at the
National Press Club! It got a well-deserved standing
ovation.

 Dancing in the Dark,
     Thump