My most heartfelt thanks, BUT........( new Yamaha w/bobbling hammers)

Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:50:44 +0200

Hey there Andre'

You illustrate one of the main points I was trying to make really well.
Bobbling caused by hammer butt bouncing off the jack means really one of
three things is going on..

1.  The action is simply regulated wrong,
2.  There is a design flaw with the angle of the jack that makes is
borderline impossible to get it easily out from under the butt to begin
with.
3.  Something is impeding the jack travel at the bottom of the keystroke.

The first two are easy to address and rule out of the picture.  If you
do that first then all that remains is the 3rd,  so you look at things
that can slow down or resist jack travel at the bottom of the key
stroke.  Friction can definantly be an issue here for sure.  I like to
manually travel the jack with a capstan regulator to feel the contact
between the jack top and the hammer butt, and to check return spring
strength.  I can also check to see how stiff the jack feels pulling out
in general this way... and how far it actually is allowed to travel.
I've never yet been totally stumped without the problem being the second
mentioned above.

RicB