( new Yamaha w/bobbling hammers)

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:35:43 +0200

On 13-apr-04, at 21:50, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Hey there Andre'

Ricardo Mio,

> You illustrate one of the main points I was trying to make really well.

This is again proof of a vibrant and razor sharp intelligence,.........
ta da ta da!!  (; >)) )) ))  (by the by, yours or mine?, I
forgot....duh)

> Bobbling caused by hammer butt bouncing off the jack means really one
> of three things is going on..
>
> 1.  The action is simply regulated wrong,
> 2.  There is a design flaw with the angle of the jack that makes is
> borderline impossible to get it easily out from under the butt to
> begin with.
> 3.  Something is impeding the jack travel at the bottom of the
> keystroke.
>
> The first two are easy to address and rule out of the picture.  If you
> do that first then all that remains is the 3rd,  so you look at things
> that can slow down or resist jack travel at the bottom of the key
> stroke.  Friction can definantly be an issue here for sure.  I like to
> manually travel the jack with a capstan regulator to feel the contact
> between the jack top and the hammer butt, and to check return spring
> strength.  I can also check to see how stiff the jack feels pulling
> out in general this way... and how far it actually is allowed to
> travel.   I've never yet been totally stumped without the problem
> being the second mentioned above.

I agree Ric, There err.. ah.. is a problem here ah, and maybe the techs
at Yamaha are not aware of it.
However, I have noticed this problem a long time ago and that's how I
came to my conclusions.
All we can do is work on the friction points, (very err.. ah..
important here), make a sharp and uniform 2 mm let off, and if
necessary, make the striking distance somewhat smaller  to say 44 mm.
Oh yes, and like you said... give the jacks some "Luft".. (The Luft
Waffe) (; >))

André

> antares wrote:
>
>> Hi Gordon,
>>
>> I too have wrestled with this Yamaha upright problem.
>> According to me, the angle and position of the jack is such that it
>> is hard for the jack to away get from under the butt.
>> I have tried several things myself in the past.
>> 1. I used a thicker cushion, which immediately helped but the hammers
>> lost power, so no good.
>> 2. When encountered with this problem, I always take out all the
>> keys, spray the balance and front rail pins with McLube, and make
>> sure that the keys have very little friction.
>> Any friction before the jack movement may add to the problem. A more
>> or less friction free start helps the jack to get out from under the
>> hammer butt.
>> 3. I made the striking distance smaller by gluing some thick red felt
>> on the hammer rail rest. Thus helped very much because the angle and
>> position of the jack improves, but you lose some power because the
>> striking distance gets smaller. A compromise may be the answer :
>> raise the hammer rail just a bit and adjust the action.
>> 4. I have noticed this problem also, and in particular, with Schimmel
>> uprights. Lubing the jack heads with McLube helps immediately and is
>> extremely effective, especially in combination with a sharp
>> regulation.
>> With plastic jacks however, you have to be very careful and not spray
>> too long and too much, the plastic may turn into a candle.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Amsterdam -