My most heartfelt thanks, BUT........( new Yamaha w/bobbling hammers)

antares antares@euronet.nl
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:15:19 +0200

Hi Gordon,

I too have wrestled with this Yamaha upright problem.
According to me, the angle and position of the jack is such that it is
hard for the jack to away get from under the butt.
I have tried several things myself in the past.
1. I used a thicker cushion, which immediately helped but the hammers
lost power, so no good.
2. When encountered with this problem, I always take out all the keys,
spray the balance and front rail pins with McLube, and make sure that
the keys have very little friction.
Any friction before the jack movement may add to the problem. A more or
less friction free start helps the jack to get out from under the
hammer butt.
3. I made the striking distance smaller by gluing some thick red felt
on the hammer rail rest. Thus helped very much because the angle and
position of the jack improves, but you lose some power because the
striking distance gets smaller. A compromise may be the answer : raise
the hammer rail just a bit and adjust the action.
4. I have noticed this problem also, and in particular, with Schimmel
uprights. Lubing the jack heads with McLube helps immediately and is
extremely effective, especially in combination with a sharp regulation.
With plastic jacks however, you have to be very careful and not spray
too long and too much, the plastic may turn into a candle.

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

Amsterdam -