Rescaling without redoing the bridge?

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:44:47 -0500

I'm just wondering -- to what extent is it feasible to rescale a piano =
without changing the bridge (if ever)? =20

I'm thinking of replacing the bass strings on my mom's 1948 Chickering =
console, which I understand is a design that could greatly benefit from =
rescaling.  While replacing strings is within my skill level, redoing =
the bridge is not.

OK, I had to go look up the formula relating string length, pitch, =
tension, and mass: =
http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/conklin/strings.html

Holding pitch and length constant, that leaves tension and mass to play =
with, which are inversely proportional.  I've read that this particular =
scale design has a high breaking strength.  Would it sound better with =
heavier strings at lower tension?  And is it practical to rescale just =
the bass?  There seems a danger of making the treble break stick out =
even worse.

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN