Rescaling without redoing the bridge?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:44:25 -0400

You can rescale the piano without changing the bridge.

On a 1948 Chickering console, that is indeed what I would recommend.

Yes you can just rescale the bass.

If the person doing the rescaling knows what s/he is doing the break =
will either be no worse or better.

I recommend considering letting the rescaler at least play with a little =
rescaling in the lower tenor. Changing a few wires in the tenor, and =
perhaps even converting a few plain wire notes to wound strings together =
with rescaling the bass can really help a poor tenor/bass transition.

I've had a number of pianos rescaled, but I don't do it myself. I have =
done it where the bass bridge was not altered, and I also do it where =
all new bridges are used.

So get your original scaling data together and start talking with a good =
rescaler!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Cy Shuster=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 3:44 PM
  Subject: Rescaling without redoing the bridge?

  I'm just wondering -- to what extent is it feasible to rescale a piano =
without changing the bridge (if ever)? =20

  I'm thinking of replacing the bass strings on my mom's 1948 Chickering =
console, which I understand is a design that could greatly benefit from =
rescaling.  While replacing strings is within my skill level, redoing =
the bridge is not.

  OK, I had to go look up the formula relating string length, pitch, =
tension, and mass: =
http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/conklin/strings.html

  Holding pitch and length constant, that leaves tension and mass to =
play with, which are inversely proportional.  I've read that this =
particular scale design has a high breaking strength.  Would it sound =
better with heavier strings at lower tension?  And is it practical to =
rescale just the bass?  There seems a danger of making the treble break =
stick out even worse.

  --Cy Shuster--
  Rochester, MN