Piano quiz - wazzit for?

Thu, 08 Apr 2004 11:16:53 -0500

Folks,

I was just doing some repair to the pedals of a 1915 Mason & Hamlin "A".

As I replaced the pedal rods, I noticed something (actually a couple
somethings) I hadn't before.

1 - About 4" from one end of each was a small hole (~1mm).
2 - The rods are definitely designed to only be installed in one direction.
One end is flat, the other slightly rounded.

The rods have been in the same orientation since before I got here in 1981,
and since the pedals had never given me trouble before, I'd never had to
remove the rods - even to move the piano.  It appears that they have been
upside-down all that time.

I _think_ I know why these things might have been done, but I'd like to see
what the consensus is.

Which end is up?
Why?
Which end do you think the holes are on?
What were the holes for?
Why was I able to quickly see the holes when I took the rods out of the lyre?

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

---Wm. Shakespeare - Merchant of Venice