Piano quiz - wazzit for?

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 08 Apr 2004 17:45:14 -0400

Comrad asked:

Which end is up?
The end closest to the holes

Why?
Don't know, it looks better?

Which end do you think the holes are on?
Neither, they go from side to side.

What were the holes for?
For a small wire that kept the rods from falling out when the piano was
moved.

Why was I able to quickly see the holes when I took the rods out of the
lyre?
You just returned from the optometrist? New glasses maybe?

Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I was just doing some repair to the pedals of a 1915 Mason & Hamlin "A".
>
> As I replaced the pedal rods, I noticed something (actually a couple
> somethings) I hadn't before.
>
> 1 - About 4" from one end of each was a small hole (~1mm).
> 2 - The rods are definitely designed to only be installed in one
> direction. One end is flat, the other slightly rounded.
>
> The rods have been in the same orientation since before I got here in
> 1981, and since the pedals had never given me trouble before, I'd never
> had to remove the rods - even to move the piano.  It appears that they
> have been upside-down all that time.
>
> I _think_ I know why these things might have been done, but I'd like to
> see what the consensus is.
>
> Which end is up?
> Why?
> Which end do you think the holes are on?
> What were the holes for?
> Why was I able to quickly see the holes when I took the rods out of the
> lyre?

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin