Junk Piano - Fix Possible?

Lesher, Trent J. tlesher@sachnoff.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:45:42 -0500

Hi Terry,
=20
Why not do a relatively quick fix with some carriage bolts?  I've never =
done this, but how long could it take to drill the holes through the =
plate/block/back and put the bolts through?  Compared to $800, it =
doesn't seem the added cost to make things safer and more stable would =
be much of  a problem.  Like you, without some better coupling to the =
posts/frame, I too would be worried about something bad happening to the =
plate as you add tension to the present, warped, equilibrium it has =
found.
=20
I wonder if it would be important to check the pitch periodically as you =
gradually pull the pinblock back against the posts with the bolts -- =
just in case last time it was tuned, there was already some separation =
there so as you close the gap it goes above pitch and maybe breaks some =
strings.
=20
Trent

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith McGavern [mailto:kam544@gbronline.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 8:37 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Junk Pianos - Sad Shopping Story

At 6:03 AM -0400 4/8/04, Farrell wrote:

... I recommended against tuning it. ... Anyone want to offer an opinion =
on my recommendations? Just curious what YOU would have done.

Terry,

Looks can be deceiving. I'd give it a go. It would only take about a =
half hour to do a pitch change and get a decent feel for what the piano =
will or won't do.

Who know, you might be surprised that in spite of its appearance, the =
piano just might hold a tuning, and you'll have made that $800 the =
customer spent extremely palatable.

Keith

--=20
Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731
Piano Technicians Guild
USA

****** IMPORTANT NOTICE ******
This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is intended only for use by the
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly =
prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me
at (312) 207-1000 and permanently delete the original and any copy of =
any
e-mail and any printout thereof.