MX80 Disklavier questions

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 08:39:01 -0500

Don't expect Yamaha to give you anything helpful.  They live in the land
where only Yamaha trained techs work on Yamahas and only Disklavier techs
work on Disklavier.  You will be required to take their Disklavier course
before they will allow you to even open the thing (as you have already
done).  I have installed every compu-player made so far and they would not
give me the time of day because I do not work for an authorized Yamaha
dealer.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com

 -----Original Message-----
From: Piannaman@aol.com [mailto:Piannaman@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 11:06 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: MX80 Disklavier questions

  Howdy folks,

  I got a call to tune a Yamaha MX80 with Disklavier that plays continuously
in a Chinese restaurant.  I tuned it last year, and it had no real problems
to speak of.  When I walked in, my contact told me that it "makes a real
funny noise, like it's hitting on wood."  I tuned it(it was at pitch, and in
remarkably good tune all things considered), and noticed alot of bubbling
hammers.  Keydip was shy almost 2 mm from the factory spec of 10 mm.

  I am not that familiar with the workings of these players.  In a standard
piano, I'd either shim the balance rail or take out paper or cardboard
punchings from the front rail to increase aftertouch.  What stopped me from
doing that was the square metal tab that protrudes from the bottom of the
key and slips into a sensor slot on the keybed.  I have no desire to alter
the depth of travel and possibly alter the elecronic end of the instrument.
Does anyone have experience with this problem with these instruments?

  I never did find the woody sound while tuning the piano, but as soon as I
turned on the player mechanism, there it was, a really loud, obnoxious clack
everytime F4 was played.  It didn't take long to figure out that it was the
solenoid knocking against the metal that covers all of the solenoids.  I
pulled up on it manually, and it was noisy; it was the only solenoid that
made the noise.  I'm assuming that a grommet or rubber washer of some sort
is missing, but I did not have time to take out all of the keys, remove the
cover, and find out what was amiss.  Nor did I have whatever part I might
have needed.

  I noticed how much the keys were lifted above the balance rail by the
solenoids, so I did a quick fix and lowered the adjustable metal key-stop
rail to limit the travel to the point where the solenoid would not max out.
I know this is probably a short term solution.  I would certainly appreciate
any advice, information, and general wisdom about either or both of these
problems.

  I have not called Yamaha yet, but are they likely to be forthcoming with a
tech manual on this, or is there one online somewhere that someone could
direct me towards?

  Thanks in advance,

  Dave Stahl