MX80 Disklavier questions

Will Wickham wwickham@stny.rr.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:25:29 -0400

Hi Dave!

I've seen a lot o' interesting stuff with the disclaviers. One of the=20
advantages of working for a Yamaha dealer!

The regulation issue is pretty simple: uprights (MX80) can and should=20
be regulated just as you would a normal piano. On one of these that's=20
playing continuously the regulation should probably be done once every=20=

year or two.

The regulation, as you've figured, has nothing to do with the piano=20
regulation. There are felt punchings on top of the solenoids that do=20
wear out and need to be replaced. Yamaha has them. It's a relatively=20
easy fix to take the keys out, the metal cover off and replace the=20
felts and that should cure the problem for some time to come.

will wickham

On Apr 8, 2004, at 12:05 AM, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> Howdy folks,
>
> I got a call to tune a Yamaha MX80 with Disklavier that plays=20
> continuously in a Chinese restaurant. =A0I tuned it last year, and it=20=

> had no real problems to speak of. =A0When I walked in, my contact told=20=

> me that it "makes a real funny noise, like it's hitting on wood." =A0I=20=

> tuned it(it was at pitch, and in remarkably good tune all things=20
> considered), and noticed alot of bubbling hammers. =A0Keydip was shy=20=

> almost 2 mm from the factory spec of 10 mm.
>
> I am not that familiar with the workings of these players. =A0In a=20
> standard piano, I'd either shim the balance rail or take out paper or=20=

> cardboard punchings from the front rail to increase aftertouch. =A0What=20=

> stopped me from doing that was the square metal tab that protrudes=20
> from the bottom of the key and slips into a sensor slot on the keybed.=20=

> =A0I have no desire to alter the depth of travel and possibly alter =
the=20
> elecronic end of the instrument. =A0Does anyone have experience with=20=

> this problem with these instruments?
>
> I never did find the woody sound while tuning the piano, but as soon=20=

> as I turned on the player mechanism, there it was, a really loud,=20
> obnoxious clack everytime F4 was played. =A0It didn't take long to=20
> figure out that it was the solenoid knocking against the metal that=20
> covers all of the solenoids. =A0I pulled up on it manually, and it was=20=

> noisy; it was the only solenoid that made the noise. =A0I'm assuming=20=

> that a grommet or rubber washer of some sort is missing, but I did not=20=

> have time to take out all of the keys, remove the cover, and find out=20=

> what was amiss. =A0Nor did I have whatever part I might have needed.
>
> I noticed how much the keys were lifted above the balance rail by the=20=

> solenoids, so I did a quick fix and lowered the adjustable metal=20
> key-stop rail to limit the travel to the point where the solenoid=20
> would not max out. =A0I know this is probably a short term solution. =
=A0I=20
> would certainly appreciate any advice, information, and general wisdom=20=

> about either or both of these problems.
>
> I have not called Yamaha yet, but are they likely to be forthcoming=20
> with a tech manual on this, or is there one online somewhere that=20
> someone could direct me towards?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Stahl=

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...